DOH-10: Northern Mindanao logs day-high 109 Covid-19 deaths
By : Uriel Quilinguing Mindanao Today/10:02:43am 09/10/2021
Northern Mindanao recorded 109 coronavirus disease-related deaths on Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2021 – the highest to be confirmed in just a day by the Department of Health-10 (DOH-10), since the pandemic began last year.
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – Northern Mindanao recorded 109 coronavirus disease-related deaths on Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2021 – the highest to be confirmed in just a day by the Department of Health-10 (DOH-10), since the pandemic began last year.
The region’s case fatality rate, however, has been on a downtrend from a high of 3.67% on July 1 this year to Tuesday’s 2.88%, as indicated by DOH-10 Covid-19 daily briefers.
Jasper Kent Ola, who heads the DOH-10 Regional Epidemiology Surveillance and Disaster Response Unit, admitted in Wednesday’s (Sept. 8) online press conference that confirmation of reported deaths due to Covid-19 are often delayed.
Of the 109 deaths that the DOH-10 RESDRU confirmed to be due to Covid-19 and were posted in its Sept. 7 briefer, 91 of them had expired weeks ago but were not immediately reported.
Ola said they have to ascertain whether those who were reported to have died due to Covid-19 complications had been swabbed and yielded positive result from reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests.
He said there were instances – accidents and with persons with co-morbidities – when the cause of death may not be Covid-19, even if the person tested positive in RT-PCR in a post-mortem swab.
These, he said, can be determined in the records review which the RESDRU is tasked to do, thus, delaying the confirmation of deaths due to Covid-19.
Ola said the lack of time and manpower to encode all the needed information into the Inter-Agency Task Force prescribed Covid-Kaya application system at the local government’s level, health offices, and hospitals also contributes to the delay.
These 109 validated Covid-19 deaths, backed with death certificates, were from Lanao del Norte, 53; Camiguin, 21; Cagayan de Oro, 12; Bukidnon, 10; Iligan, 2; and Misamis Oriental, 1.
As of Tuesday, 1,866 residents of Northern Mindanao had succumbed to Covid-19 of the 64,419 cumulative confirmed cases since March last year.
The RESDRU chief also disclosed the proper disposal of human remains for those who died due to Covid-19 has been challenging for local governments and their health offices, region-wide.
“It’s only in Cagayan de Oro where cremations are done, though some would opt for burial,” said Ola, but reminded those tasked in the management of the dead to bury the remains within 12 hours, as provided for by the Sanitation Code of the Philippines.
Engr. Armen Cuenca, who heads the management of the dead cluster in Cagayan de Oro’s Covid-19 Response Emergency Operations Center, disclosed in a press statement that roughly 72% of bereaved families opted for cremation of human remains of their dead.
Cuenca said this accounts for 328 of the 455 city residents who had Covid-19 infections and succumbed to the disease in August, this year. The families of the remaining 127 requested burial for their dead.
Every day, a team from the management of the dead cluster, had to assist the cremation of 20 corpses in August when Covid-19 infections surged due to clusters of cases in the city.